Rebooting your modem can fix Internet connection problems, improve slow moving connections and resolve wireless issues. Like any other electronic, one of the biggest reasons you may benefit from rebooting your modem is because when you leave your modem on for too long, it will tend to stop performing at its best. By unplugging the power cord from the back of the modem you are giving it the breather it needs. Electronics are not built to consistently be running at all times, and power cycling (a fancy way of saying unplugging the power cord) helps with most issues.
Another reason is that when your modem is on all day, every day, it is slowly desynchronizing from the Internet Service Provider (ISP). This desynchronization causes the packets you are sending and receiving to become corrupt, requiring them to be resent, and thus, lowering your speed.
Try unplugging your modem on a monthly basis to stay proactive. This will not cause any harm to your electronics as it is simply a way of rebooting the system. If your problems continue please call your local Nuvera office and a representative will lend a helping hand!
How to reboot your cable modem:
1. Shut down your device (computer, tablet, phone, etc.).
2. Unplug the power cord from the modem and your router. Verify you have unplugged the correct cords by checking that all the lights on the modem/router are turned OFF.
3. Wait 30 seconds, then plug the power cord back into the modem and then the router.
4. Wait for the Internet light to turn green.
5. Turn your device back on.
6. Try connecting to the Internet.
Please refrain from pushing the reset button on the back of your modem as doing so will necessitate a reconfiguration in Nuvera’s system.